For your next Taco Tuesday I invite you to try my salsa verde tacos TWO WAYS. Danny and I don't always want to have the same protein for dinner, which is totally fine, but on those nights when two different fillings are needed we try to keep the other ingredients and concept simple.
I was in the mood for some sort of bean and had a can of chickpeas in the cabinet; seeing as we've experienced another heat wave this week, this was the fastest, coolest option. Danny requested fish tacos, so we grabbed tilapia while gathering the other ingredients from the store.
The ingredient that ties this whole dish together is my homemade salsa verde, which Danny requests I make at least once a summer while these tangy tomatillos are in season. Find the recipe for the salsa verde below, along with steps for how the rest of our tacos came together.
Do you and your eating partner sometimes prefer different proteins? Have you ever made salsa verde?
Salsa Verde- makes about 1.5 cups
- 10 medium sized tomatillos, removed from husk and washed
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- pinch of salt
- Start by roasting the tomatillos. Place washed and dried tomatillos on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place in a 400 degree oven. Cook for about 15 minutes until they start to brown and release a bit of their juices. Remove from oven, let cool, then transfer to blender.
- To blender, add garlic, chopped onion, cilantro, salt, and chopped serrano. Blender together until smooth. Transfer to container and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Tilapia and Chickpea Tacos
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage (I even bought this pre-shredded to save a step)
- 1 ear of yellow or white corn, raw kernals removed from cob
- 1/2 beefsteak tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 small tilapia filet (by weight, about 4 oz.)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (either canned or from dried)
- cilantro to garnish
- corn or Siete Foods tortillas
- Place shredded cabbage in a bowl and squeeze juice of one lime over cabbage. Using hands, "massage" lime juice into cabbage to help breakdown and soften it. Mix in raw corn kernals and chopped tomatoes.
- To prepare tilapia, add oil of choice (olive, avocado) to a hot skillet. Place fish skin-side up in the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Turn fish, then add a few spoonfuls of salsa verde- the amount is up to you and how saucy you want it to be. Cook for another 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- To prepare beans, add a few spoonfuls of salsa verde to chickpeas in a bowl and either micorwave for 1 minute to warm them, or heat them through on the stovetop.
- Lightly char tortillas over an open flame. To assemble, take 1 tortilla and add small amount of slaw as the base, then top with either chickpeas or flaked fish, generously adding more salsa verde if desired. Divide ingredients equally amongst 3 tacos per person and garnish with cilantro.